Developing with Vaporware is not for the faint of heart.
As craftsmen, our work is exceptional, and we have this same expectation of exceptionality in those we hire. While many of the applicants we receive to other positions have the potential to reach this level, most are not immediately qualified. This skills gap is one of the biggest hurdles in hiring development talent, as there are many candidates who just need an opportunity to show they can become exceptional. At Vaporware, we begin the software craftsman’s journey with apprenticeship.
The Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) is Vaporware’s apprentice level role. The position provides practical knowledge and experience, on client projects, over the course of an approximately 1-year working relationship. This is a full-time, paid position, and we have high expectations that our apprentice will grow and be promoted to a developer role when ready.
As an SRE, the apprentice will be the front line of defense for our clients, providing the steam behind our Protect service. The apprentice will work closely with our SRE Team Lead to proactively monitor client applications, provide test-driven repairs, and implement scaling optimizations. Participation in client meetings will be encouraged, giving insight into how project goals are defined. The apprentice will be expected to contribute as a functional team member, but with the support of a dedicated mentor.
- The position is located at our Raleigh, NC office.
- SREs are expected to apprentice for between 6 months to 1 year.
- Sustainable pace: 32 hours billable client work and 8 hours of internal contributions.
- Relocation is not provided.
- You must have the legal right to work in the US. We do not sponsor visas.
- Company paid healthcare benefits.
- Full 401k matching up to 3%.
- One week of paid vacation a quarter.
- Expenses paid for attending conferences and meetups.
Who It’s For
We’re most interested in candidates that have some existing experience building professional web applications, have a degree in computer science, or have recently graduated from a code school. Preference is given to individuals with experience in the Ruby programming language and Rails framework.
Additionally, you are:
- Passionate about crafting excellent software.
- A great communicator, able to interact with clients and teammates professionally.
- Able to handle stress and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Seeking to evolve. You value learning over the appearance of smartness.
How To Apply
To apply, check out our current job openings.
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Vaporware, and how your previous experience relates to the Site Reliability Engineer position. We would also like to see examples of your work, in whatever format you feel is most appropriate.